Sunday, September 16, 2012

Stages to the new me...



So in coming to terms with my illness, I've realized a few things. First off, I've come to the conclusion that us, Fibromites, have to go through an inner process aside from our physical endeavors. I read somewhere, and have to agree, that once diagnosed we have to go through the 7 stages of grief. And in this, I in no way mean that we have to accept our end but simply a new beginning. We grieve for our old self. As we lose the life we had and must learn to live with the new life we were so graciously given.


And although I believe we do have to go through these 7 stages, I also must say that I agree with Dr. Phil as he states that "there are not stages of grief, but an array of feelings that arise." But I also believe, that in my very particular case, I went through the stages mostly before my diagnosis.




The first stage is shock and denial. I don't think that I went through the shock as much as I did the denial long before my diagnosis. I felt young and more ready than ever to conquer the world. I was a single mom, working, and dedicated to my son. At first one symptom, then another... and every time I encountered a new one, I told myself "Oh stop! Its all in your head!" Of course, hearing that from family and friends added to the usual "you're healthy, all your tests are negative" from the doctors only helped prolong this stage further.


Stage 2 is the strange one for me... Pain and Guilt! Pain yes! Lots of it! Physical and Emotional! Not to mention the pain of not being who I knew I could be or always wanted to be. Guilt, on the other hand, was not for me. How could I feel guilty for being sick. Yes, I admit I don't eat the healthiest food or do 3 hours of work out sessions a day, but I did well for myself physically. Very active. Zumba was my major outlet for all the emotional stress I was going through not knowing what the hell was wrong with me.



Anger and Bargaining.... I think one time I asked why me? but then I answered myself. Why not? That's always been the answer to a lot of my questions... and for me, this worked. I was angry, yes. Because I didn't know what was wrong with me, because no one gave me answers, because no one told me it was not in my head, because I was in pain ALL the time, because I wanted it to stop, I EXPECTED it to stop... and it never did.



Stage 4 was the craziest... Depression! Major! So much anger made me depressed. I think more than anything it was the fear that I was sick (or maybe it was just all in my head) and I had my son. He needed me to be sane and I was anything but... I cried in the dark and always in the shower... upset. sad. My anxiety escalated to uncontrollable levels only to add to my depression and loss of hope.



And then... the best stage so far... The Upward Turn. The day I walked into my Rheumatologist's office. The moment I heard it.. Yes you're sick. You have Fibromyalgia. It's not in your head. And there is no cure. For some people, most sane people, this is almost as crushing as a life sentence to death... but for me, it was light. Light at the end of the tunnel that I had so painfully been crawling through, scratching at the walls and dragging through the dirt....


Reconstruction and Working through... This one, to me, seems like it's never going to actually pass. With this illness I don't think we ever finish "reconstructing ourselves." Its almost impossible. With every flare comes new symptoms and new weakness and even new abilities.... so how can we stop rearranging our lives. I guess I did the basics. So basically, I started working through the pain and the reconstruction of my life. I changed some parts of my life... I walk slower. I talk slower. I enjoy more of the simple things. I leave the drama. I concentrate on and indulge in my simple pleasures. And most importantly... I worked through getting to Stage 7


Acceptance & Hope
I accept my weaknesses. I accept my pains. I accept my life. I accept the challenge. But most of all I accept my illness. I know I'm sick and I know that this is not something that will go away. And I have hope that my life will not deteriorate, simply change. I have hope that my family and friends will see me through it. I have hope that life will get better. And I have Faith in Him and that He's listening to my prayers and nourishing my Hope.


So with all of this said, my last stage calls for one more thing..


I am Mireya and I have Fibromyalgia....

2 comments:

  1. I am Angela and I too have Fibromyalgia !! and every one of those stages is so difficult and yet so enlightening in a sense ..all we can do is forge on ward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you're right they're difficult... but I see it this way, if you get through today then you'll end up at tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete