Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bach???

I read somewhere that us Fibromites learn to live with the pain 'playing in the background like elevator music.'  I spoke to a friend of mine last night and he asked if I was always in pain... I really couldn't say no but at the same time didn't feel comfortable saying yes.  My pain is there. Not debilitating, not visible, not measurable, not comprehensible, but most definitely always there.  I think as I learn more about this illness and as I communicate more and more with people that are going through the same thing I am, the more I learn to cope.  I've learned to accept that this is the path that was chosen for me, and that He chose me for a reason.  Maybe that's why I feel the need to write, to find the reason He chose me.  Its not easy explaining to people that my illness is chronic and severe. Its not easy hearing people say "but you look okay" when inside I know my body and mind are falling to pieces before their eyes and they cant see it.  My illness has made me realize and understand so much more that not everything is what we think it is or how we see it from the outside.  I thank God that I was finally diagnosed.  Since my diagnosis, I've begun to have a 'normal' life again... of course only to the extent of my physical ability.  I may not ever be whom or what I used to be and I may not ever go back to doing the things that I did in the past, but I'm surely not going down without a fight.

My support system is incredible.  My family supports me.  Friends that I never thought could understand, have not only stood by but have cheered me on and have shown me that life isn't about being who you were but becoming what you were meant to be.  This is by no means a handicap in my life; I think this diagnosis and my NEW reality, is a gift.  The gift of a journey in life that takes me through limits that I never even imagined much less did I dream of overcoming.  I don't feel sorry for myself nor would I like any one to.... I just take my days one at a time... and remember that every day ends and with its end comes the beginning of a new day.  If I can make it through today, I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment